Slip & Fall Accidents: Dos and Don’ts!
With the change in season comes weather-related accidents like slip and falls.
Whether it happens at work, at home, at someone else’s home, or in public, slip-and-fall accidents can result in serious, life-threatening injuries and major financial losses. If you or a loved one has been involved in a slip and fall accident, the ability to recover financial compensation depends on several key factors.
It’s important to have a team of trusted and knowledgeable attorneys like Lawfty Law on your side to ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Types of Slip and Fall Accidents
There are many types of slip and fall accidents. Here are some of the types of slip-and-fall cases that Lawfty Law has handled in the past:
- Staircases, Escalators, Elevators
- Sidewalks & Walkways
- Wet Floors (Workplace/Public)
- Parking Lots
- Unsafe Worksites
- Worn or Raised Flooring
Although these types of slip-and-fall accidents sound different, they all revolve around the same claim – negligence on behalf of the responsible party (property owners, general contractors, or janitorial service companies, among others).
Slip and fall accidents are rooted in one of two types of liability:
- Premises Liability: One type of liability is the failure of the property owner(s) to willingly address and rectify any potential hazards that could endanger the safety and well-being of persons on their property.
- Labor Law Liability: The second type of liability is the failure to provide a safe working environment or working conditions for employees.
Lawfty Law attorneys have pursued hundreds of slip and fall claims. With that experience, they can determine who was responsible, how they were negligent, and how your claim can be turned into money in your pocket.
5 Things to Do After a Slip & Fall Accident
- Seek Medical Attention: Our attorneys have heard it a million times – “I’m okay, I can tough it out” or “I feel fine, don’t worry, I’ll be okay.” While you may feel fine immediately after the accident or think you’re able to tough it out, we cannot stress enough the importance of seeking medical attention whether it’s from the ER, your primary care physician, or through an urgent care walk-in clinic. It’s hard to claim you are injured if you never sought medical treatment.
- Report the Accident: As soon as a slip & fall accident has taken place, it’s crucial that you report it to whoever owns or operates the property. It could be a store owner, a landlord, or a property manager, but it’s important that they document your accident and give you a copy of it for your records. It may also be important to call your local police department and have a police report filed as well.
- Take Pictures of the Accident Scene: It’s also essential to document the scene of the accident. Take photos of what caused you to slip and fall, and write down exactly what happened, and the time it occurred. If there were any witnesses, get their account of the events as well, and their contact information if possible. Keep this information in a safe place; your attorneys will undoubtedly need and use this information in the course of your legal action.
- Avoid Talking About Your Claim: You may receive calls or emails from property managers, property owners, or insurance companies looking to gain information and protect themselves. You’re not required to speak to these people. In particular, be wary of any calls from insurance companies offering you quick compensation. Once you’ve hired an attorney, these conversations should occur only with the attorney present. Always tell your attorney if you receive any of these types of calls.
- Speak to an Attorney: The local, knowledgeable, Washington D.C. attorneys at Lawfty Law are highly experienced in slip-and-fall matters. We are available 24/7 and there are no fees to speak to us about your case. We’ll be there to help you every step of the way.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Lawfty Law Today!
Since 2013, the attorneys at Lawfty Law have recovered millions of dollars for Washington D.C. accident victims.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident and suspect that someone’s negligence is to blame, you may be entitled to compensation!
Sign up for a free attorney consultation using the form below, and speak with us about your accident today.
The consultation is always free, and so is the peace of mind that follows.